The AVLAM consortium have defined the following technical objectives:
- To develop the widespread uptake of laser ALM through the generation and testing of unique parts.
- To develop, install, commission and utilise specialist software and enhance existing software to allow the manufacture of highly complex structures, predominantly for parts up to 250mm in length.
- To produce guidelines for designers to utilise laser deposition ALM for light-weighting in demanding applications.
- To reduce component weight through the adoption of non-solid production techniques and the use of Metal Matrix Composites.
- To benchmark various mature laser ALM techniques and define areas for improvement.
- To assess structural performance of laser ALM fabricated components.